Reflecting on 2021

As the year ends, I have been reviewing the changes that have come to my life. Don't get me wrong, 2021 was not all bad---there was a family wedding in Maine, and a Disney World adventure that thrilled three generations! Vaccines and masks became a norm, businesses adjusted hours and procedures, and I even adapted to virtual conferences and author events! Old age caught up with me--cataract surgery, a hospital stay and many medical tests---all is fine now, or will be next week when I have new glasses!

So bear with my review:


The good news

    Books are still being read and published

    Readers are adapting to new formats and on-line access

The bad news

    Publisher supply chain challenge

    Books being banned and challenged in schools and libraries

Still evolving news

    Using virtual sales meetings and author tours

    Audio versus print editions

Authors who passed in 2021

For some reason several icons from my book life, which includes being read to, reading to my own children, selling to new generations, learning about the world, and escaping to other realities:

    EO Wilson

    Joan Didion

    Larry McMurty

    Beverly Cleary

    Eric Carle

    Gary Paulson

    Ann Rice

    Norton Juster

Promise for 2022

        Books will still be published

        Booksellers and librarians will continue to fight for The First Amendment

        New authors and illustrators are creating the classics of the future

        Book Bound with Barbara will continue!

So make this resolution for 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment